Jaggery is a traditional Indian sweetener made from sugarcane and is believed to be a healthy substitute for sugar. The process of making jaggery which does not involve any chemical agents has all natural mineral salts retained in it. Jaggery has many health benefits as compared to sugar.
1. Jaggery activates the various digestive enzymes speeding up digestion.
2. Jaggery is used to treat problems such as dry cough, cold and asthma.
3. Jaggery helps in relaxing muscles, nerves and blood vessels, thus enhancing their functions.
4. Jaggery helps to relieve headaches.
5. Jaggery is a rich source of iron and is therefore very good for anaemic people, as it increases the haemoglobin level in the blood.
6. A mixture of jaggery and dry ginger powder taken with warm water can stop hiccups.
7. Jaggery helps in maintaining blood pressure.
8.Jaggery has potassium, which helps in reducing bloating and water retention. High potassium content in jaggery is often associated with its weight loss benefits.
9.Jaggery is loaded with many essential nutrients such as vitamins and minerals, that play a key role in many metabolic processes.